ASSISTANT SHRUB GROWER
In Coordination with the Woody Grower this assistant position will perform all tasks associated with the production of woody shrubs and vines to produce retail ready plants of uniform and high quality:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Woody Grower to decide where newly potted plants will be placed.
- Setting out newly potted plants from potting wagons into the growing areas
- Schedule and coordinate the straightening, centering, shearing and spacing of new shrubs to promote fullness.
- Schedule and coordinate the tying of vine crops as needed
- Working with inventory to reflect any change of location or changes that were made to the crops to maintain an accurate inventory.
- Monitor irrigation and irrigation systems including alignment of drip tubing and emitters with plants, and run drip checks in the morning with the growing crew.
- Schedule irrigation for crops in container lots, hoop houses and greenhouses based on crops growing in those locations.
- Delegate growing tasks to crew, while working with Shrub Grower, as well as coordinate with potting on production, and with shipping on order pulling.
- Locating and selecting plants to fill orders, loading onto trailers and driving trailers to loading dock using RTV’s where plant wagons are dropped for processing by other teams
- Communicate with the Shipping department to ensure pullers are keeping up with the processing team.
- Jump in and help crews where needed to maintain shipping and production goals
- Pruning back and grouping shrubs into blocks for Winter protection and consolidation.
- Spring clean-up, fertilization and spacing overwintered crops.
- Extensive pulling and/or pushing of tools, wheelbarrows, containers, etc.
- Sit and/or walk for extensive periods of time while sorting, picking, examining, weeding, transporting, Spacing, pruning etc.
- Stoop and/or bend over while performing farm labor such as weeding, irrigating, pruning, spacing, picking, removing debris, etc.
- There will be repetitive movements while performing most of the farm labor duties, for example picking, sorting, pruning, shoveling, weeding, etc.
- Lift or load up to 60 pounds.
- Fieldwork begins at an assigned time shortly after daylight.
- Work may be performed during light rain and in high humidity and in freezing or high heat temperatures.
- May be required to work when crops are wet with dew/rain and should have suitable clothing for variable weather conditions.
- Work may take place when temperatures are below freezing and above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent knowledge
- Strong skills with verbal and written communication
- Basic computer skills and strong math skills
- Skills and ability in time management and task prioritization
- Ability be self-motivating while paying close attention to detail
- Some horticultural knowledge
- Willingness to communicate and ask questions if a task or responsibility is not clear