Spray (IPM) Team
General Job Description:
A spray team member applies chemicals that work as pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides to various surfaces around the nursery. They mix chemicals to get the appropriate strength for a given job and fill the device they will be dispensing the chemical with. This does require physical labor as they often must bend, reach, and lift the dispensing devices to hard-to-reach areas. The spray team will exercise their skills to monitor the condition of plants on our property and apply regular treatments to help with pest control, fungus or disease prevention.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Sets-up and operates hand and power spray equipment to spray, and/or spread various chemicals and other designated materials including pesticides, herbicides, soil sterilants, fertilizers, and specified soil amendments.
· Installs, adjusts, and performs minor repairs on application equipment.
· Maintains records on chemical application activities in compliance with EPA, OSHA, and State and Federal regulations.
· Maintains work area, chemical storage area, and equipment in a condition that promotes good safety practices and in compliance with OSHA.
· Schedules and coordinates regularly scheduled pest control activities and responds to trouble calls between Facilities Management and users regarding pest management issues.
· Assists in maintaining and updating Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for chemical usage.
· Assists in maintaining grounds for weed control, pest control, and fertilizer applications.
· Acquires and stores pesticide solutions; mixes or dilutes specified chemicals or materials according to directions and applies them at the recommended rate.
· Instructs helpers, as required, in applying sprays, drenches, and other materials.
· Inspects indoor and outdoor areas and recommends extermination and pest control methods.
· Help schedule pest and weed controls.
· May assist in the upkeep of the grounds, and other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
· Pesticide Applicator Certification desired but not required.
· Experience with horticulture, agriculture, retail or wholesale nursery. The knowledge of safely and properly using spray and application equipment.
· Available to work weekends and work flexible hours as required
· Ability to work indoors and outdoors in extreme seasonal temperatures
· Must be able to read and correctly follow written instructions and product labels
· Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
· Attention to detail and ability to focus on one task for extended periods of time
· Adapts and thrives in a demanding, start-up, fast-paced environment
· Ability to work independently throughout a workday with given directives
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to perform grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions
· May be required to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time.
· Must be able to lift, carry and balance up to 50 pounds
· Some exposure with proper personal protective equipment, to regulated chemicals such as pesticides and fertilizers.
Must be able to perform duties while wearing proper PPE as required (i.e. respirators, googles, coveralls, gloves)
Your application was submitted successfully.